About Trust General Store & Cafe
From 1900 until the 1950s, the Ebbs and Gardner General Merchandise Store stood right across the highway from the present Trust General Store & Cafe location. A 1903 ledger from that store is on display evidencing the old barter system whereby corn, eggs, chicken, and meats were exchanged for staples and merchandise. The general store was officially designated as a mail distribution center in the early 1900s.
There are two versions of how the towns Trust and Luck got their names. In the first version, a group of settlers were trying to choose a name for the new post office. The heated debate over the name was cut short when a dog belonging to Farmer Price wandered into the circle of community residents. The dog’s name was “Trust.” In the second version, according to Pink Plemmons, founder of Luck, a letter was sent to the Postmaster General pointing out the need for post offices in the area, saying the community put their “Trust and Luck” that they would get one. They were so named.
The Trust General Store and Spring Creek Cafe was established in 1986 in its present location and building as a grocery store and diner. Many in the area remember weekend drives to enjoy the beautiful scenery, warm country hospitality, and great food that was offered.
After being closed in the late 1990s, the property was renovated and re-opened in 2008 as the Trust General Store & Cafe. Today it operates in the tradition of the general stores that served the Spring Creek Community in the past – friendly service.